Friday, July 15, 2011

Biara Ba Koko - Marlow's new home away from home

Yesterday I got to hear Marlow's excited voice as she told me that she will be placed as a volunteer in Biara Ba Koko (it's not on any map and I wouldn't be surprised if I may have spelled it wrong). It's a small village in the South West of Burkina, not far from the border with Cote D'Ivoire, and not that far from Mali. The closest town is Banfora, about a 12 mile bike ride for her. Of course, the first thing I did after our Skype call was Google the area. Seriously, Biara Ba Koko apparently doesn't exist unless you live there. But Banfora looks like it has a few creature comforts. Marlow will be relinquishing electricity when she leaves her host family in Sapone but the trade-up is what looks to be a much greener, lusher landscape than she has seen so far.  I'm very excited for her since it looks like a plum site allocation. She will get to visit the area for the first time next week.

And Marlow got the first package I sent her! Filled with all kinds of goodies that she was very grateful for. "Mom, the other volunteers are jealous" is a comment that pretty much guarantees I will keep those packages coming. Hearing that she is over her tummy troubles (the Peace Corps. took great care of her) and that she is revved up for her visit to her full-time volunteer site next week is the welcomed package she sent me in return.

So, it's only one month plus a few days since Marlow left for Burkina Faso. It seems like sooo much longer. We missed not having her around on July 4th. I've been trying not to think about future holidays that we will not spend with her. Yes, I continue to think about Marlow a trillion times a day but Peace Corps. mums and dads should know that it really does get easier with a little time, a little knowledge and a little Skype.

No comments:

Post a Comment