Wednesday, June 15, 2011

First phone call and first package

Very early on Monday morning my phone rang twice and then stopped ringing. I knew immediately that it was Marlow. A clever nudge to call her back so she doesn't have to pay for the call. Redial didn't work but thanks to her boyfriend I could get the number (thanks, Jobin!) The connection was excellent and it was sooo good to hear Marlow's voice. We talked for quite a while about what she is doing and will be doing for the next few days. She sounded happy and excited - not that I would expect anything else. For me, it was another big boost in my morale.

Which takes me to the first package that I have sent her. This was fun. After a quick trip to the post office on Monday I confirmed the best shipping options. I went home, unpacked the regular box she had previously put together for herself and crammed 16 1bs of "Peace Corps Training Materials" into the large flat rate box (maximum weight is 20 1bs). Everything she had in the original box (would have cost $250 to ship) fit into the USPS flat rate box (shipping cost $58) with the exception of a frying pan and cutting board which I will send separately. Writing religious messages on the box in English and French may seem weird but it's suggested and if it helps to stop the box being pilfered when it gets to Burkina, why not? Customs form is a little crazy but now I know exactly what to write down. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about shipping to Africa so I just hope she gets the package! 

It has been a very strange set of personal experiences since Marlow left. From the teary, very emotional (for me) parting at the airport in Tampa to a bit of a personal roller coaster ride since she arrived in Burkina.  Now I'm feeling a whole lot better to have had the first email, first phone call and sent the first package. So I'm now settling into the Peace Corps mum role.

Marlow has jestingly reminded me, on occasion, over the past few years when she was at college that she is not a little girl anymore. I know this. She is a remarkable 21 year old with incredible smarts of every kind. I also know this: that she will always be my little girl :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment