Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Burkina Faso PCV Packages and more

Three packages going out this week. It's incredibly carthartic for me to know that I'm sending stuff to Marlow that she can't get in Burkina and has asked me to send.

Shannon and Tony at the post office ask about Marlow every time I'm there - what is she doing this week, how is the weather there at the moment, did she have a good time in Ouaga? Seriously, my local post office in our sleepy town is now fully engaged in PC mission #3.

PCV's need to know that there are people they touch indirectly. I'm a "carrier" for the Peace Corps.

Marlow has been in Burkina for a year now and, believe me, you get excited about that. For your son or daughter, you know they are fully immersed. For you, as a parent, you know they have weathered so much to be proud of for what they have encountered, endured and learned.

Practical tips for packages: 1) Include what they crave 2) Include what they need 3) Surprise them with stuff.

Most of all, pack that USPS Large Flat Rate Box with everything you can cram inside. Your PCV will love everything. Of course, it's not cheap to send - $60 from Florida. It does not escape my conscience in terms of how that amount of money would better serve the Burkinabe.

Also, do not underestimate the gratitude for just sending letters (although, in my experience, they take longer than packages.)

But don't be surprised if they have other things to do instead of bicycling off  to pick up their packages. They're in Burkina for a reason and they're crazy busy with PC or just being part of the community.

Hugs to all the current/future Burkina PCV's and Parents.






No comments:

Post a Comment